About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Woolly-Wits Reviews Twist Collective Fall 2013

What's the buzz on the Fall 2013 issue of The Twist Collective*?  In addition to the usual smorgasbord of mouth-watering knits, it's the gorgeous older model in the Woolgathering story.  I love it when knitting publications use real people because it gives us a much clearer picture of how the sweater would look on a body much closer to what the average woman has.  And, she makes the younger model with no hips and tiny breasts which seem to hover directly below her ears look plastic.

 Here's the charming lady modeling Rafters by Stephannie Tallent, one of my selections for most-flattering design in the issue.  We love shawl collars and cardigans for the lengthening vertical lines they create.  There's also a strong vertical design element in the cabled panel, but it's a little too far over for me.  The further apart vertical stripes appear, the broader they make the torso look.  They would be much more flattering if they were centered over each breast.  But, that's more work for the designer and knitter since they would have to fade into the angled collar.  I am always willing to do some extra work for a more flattering garment, which explains why I haven't knit a pullover in ten years.

OK, I just said I won't knit a pullover, but I might make an exception for Bevel by Annie Modesitt.  Why?  All the lovely angled lines.  I love a deep v-neck for how it visually breaks up broad shoulders, a wide torso and a big bust.  If she's showing a little too much skin for you, just add a cami underneath.  (Actually, I usually wear a t-shirt under my hand knits so I sweat on the garment which is easiest to clean and most durable.)

The diagonal lines in the patterning created by both the cables and ribbing help to create an hourglass and draw attention to the bust in a flattering way.  The ribbing also causes the sweater to hug the body, and a body will always look slimmer in a garment which echoes its lines.

What I don't love about this sweater is the gauge - worsted!  I really don't like to use a yarn weight above dk because not only does the heavier heavier yarn add visual weight, but it makes a sweater too warm to wear indoors (at least for me).  At least if it were a cardigan, that would help mitigate the warmth of the yarn, but it is not.


Last on my short list of favorites is Charette by Faina Goberstein, and not just because we again have a model with a 'real' body, i.e. busty.  A long cardigan creates a very slimming line, and this one has a deep collar to add visual weight and create a strong shoulder line.  This is a very good design for bodies which carry weight through the hips and thighs.  The only caveat is to be sure to work it to your best length.  It is never flattering for a sweater to end at the same point where you are widest because it creates a strong horizontal which emphasizes the width.  So, either end before it or after - your choice.

Yesterday's mail brought me the fall issue of Interweave Crochet, so I'll review that this week to give a little equal time to the hookers.

* For those of you unfamiliar with the Twist Collective, it's a quarterly on-line knitting magazine.  The e-mag is free, but you pay to download designs which are generally around $7 for a sweater.  A couple hints to provide you with the information you need: 1) if you hold your cursor over the name of the garment, a box will pop up with information on the yarn used, sizing and pricing, and; 2) if you go over to Ravelry and pull up the issue there, you'll be able to see multiple views, usually including the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment