About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Golden Hand's 1971 Fashion & Fitting Advice

Last week I shopped at my favorite semi-annual church rummage sale.  While I didn't find any great vintage sweaters this time, I did find some vintage knitting/craft magazines.  Here's my favorite issue:

This is a 1971 issue of a British mag, Golden Hands.  It was not familiar to me, and the knitting, crochet and embroidery information was quite basic.  What was interesting was the dressmaking article on fitting.  I've included the introduction below, and I'll post the 'standard figure types' and 'figure problems' in the next couple days.

My favorite quote from the intro is "If you work on the basis that almost any design can be adapted to any figure (except in extreme forms of fashion), all you have to do is recognize your own particular size and figure problem and take them into consideration when cutting out and fitting the garment.  Naturally, certain styles will be more flattering to one figure than to another." (Emphasis mine.)

In the illustrated body types that follow, the emphasis is on the styles that are most flattering on the bodies presented, with specific advice on color combinations, accessories, and how to wear certain clothing items.  Despite being over 40 years old, it is right on target.  So, stay tuned to further information.





No comments:

Post a Comment