As I said, I bought the yarn at String Theory over a year ago. I purchased it to use up store credits from their summer sidewalk sale. (You de-stash, they sell it and you earn store credits. Great concept.) I just love the teal color of this Feederbrook Farm worsted weight BFL. I knew it had to be a sweater, although I generally prefer a dk or lighter weight for my own sweaters. But the biggest issue was that they did not have enough of the teal for a sweater quantity for me. There was a lovely dark green color, and in a fit of inspiration, I decided that I could use green for the bands and cuffs. The first 'make it work' moment.
The second 'make it work' moment occurred this fall when I had decided on a pattern for this project - Sablier by Nell Ziroli - and pulled out the yarn to wind it. One of the teal skeins was definitely not like the others. When shopping, I had just grabbed all the hanks, assuming they were the same dye lot. Not so. So, with more Tim Gunn inspiration, I decided to knit the back in two row stripes of the off shade and the others. It had to be stripes, because there would not have been enough to work the entire back in the single skein, and the two colors were different enough that to try to transition from one to the other in a single piece would have been obvious. It also would have looked odd to try and knit one sleeve with this skein. But, since all the cabling was on the front of the cardi, and the back was plain stockinette, I thought it could work.
I think it worked. From the front you have lots to look at - cables, button band, collar, color contrast - and from the back you have some subtle interest from the stripes. I love the pockets on this design, as I seem to be all about the pockets lately. (As does the rest of the knitting world.) My Sablier has not gone into heavy rotation, as it is, indeed, a little heavy for indoor wear. But with a windchill of -23 F today, I think I will wear it to my afternoon knitting group. If I am brave enough to venture out, that is.