About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Queen of the Summer Cardi

Abria from Chic Knits
Yesterday I hinted that there's one designer who owns the category of summer cardigans.  She owns more than just this category, but this is one where I think she really shines: Bonne Marie Burns of Chic Knits.  Her latest design, Abira, is an example of a perfect summer cardi.  Very refined with a trim fit and just a tiny bit of lace detail.  She offers a long list of yarn options, including Classic Elite Firefly, pictured in the sample here.  It's a top-down design, which is not my favorite, but it is for many knitters, and I will say that the technique's flaws are less evident in a short little cardi.  My only change would be to shorten the sleeves to above the elbow, since I feel they look a little awkward just below.  
Brynna from Chic Knits

Last year's summer cardi pattern was Brynna.  This is also a very refined design which is all lace - body, hem and bands.  Again, Bonne Marie offers a number of options for yarn, including one of my favorites, Elsbeth Lavold's Hempathy.  

Cece from Chic Knits
Cinnie from Chic Knits
Cece is an older pattern, but a goodie.  It also features an all-over lace pattern, v-neckline and 3/4 sleeves like Brynna, but is a bit more refined since it sticks to one lace pattern.  The single button closure also gives it another wearing option.  

Cinnie is the last of the summer cardis I'll mention before sending you off to the Chic Knits Ravelry shop for other great options, both summer and winter.  It's another great all-over lace short cardi.  But, you know I am going to mention the sleeve length.  As pictured, it would cut right across the widest part of my quite wide arms, which is not flattering.  I would extend the ribbing for several more inches to take the sleeve much closer to the elbow.  Check out the projects photos to see how other real-sized knitters resolved this dilemma.

In the past three days I've rounded up my current favorite summer cardi options.  Did I miss your favorite?  Let me know . . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment