About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Woolly-Wits Reviews Twist Collective Winter 2013

It's another lovely collection from the Twist Collective.  But, I do have an overall complaint.  The majority of sweaters in this collection are knit of yarn that is worsted weight, or thicker.  While we already know that bulky yarn is not a friend to a person of size, I also question its seasonal appropriateness.  Yes, in winter it is colder.  But, as I move through my day, I am going through variable heating zones.  As any Scout will tell you, this requires layers.
And, to me, a worsted weight sweater is just too warm for most indoor wear.  (Although out beloved cardigan does allow more climate control than a pullover.)  I would prefer to see worsted weight sweaters in a fall collection where they can be worm more like a jacket.  So, here in the smaller photos are the sweaters with a flattering shape and design lines, but are knit in a gauge of 18 stitches over 4" or heavier.  Some of them I like enough to consider substituting a lighter weight yarn and working a larger size to compensate, but that does throw off row gauge and complex cable patterning.





There are a few designs in dk or lighter yarns which get a 'thumbs up' from me.  The first is Keynote by Wencke Lucas.   It's a scoop neck  cardigan in a dk weight yarn with delicate cable work in vertical panels alongside the button band.  This is all very good.  The cable bands also appear along the side seams.  This is an interesting detail, but, because it draws attention to the width of the body, not so flattering.  But, it is subtle enough that I am willing to give it a pass.












The next cardigan is Sablier by Nell Ziroli.  Again we have vertical panels of cable work, but I really like the way they move in and out diagonally. Lately I find myself very drawn to longer cardigans with low pockets.  This works well for my body type (more weight carried through chest) than for those with concerns for their hips and thighs, as the pockets add additional bulk.  One way to reduce bulk is to work the pocket lining in a lighter weight yarn of a matching color, or even cut it out of fabric.  A knit jersey fabric is best for this, as it will have stretch, just like the sweater.

I am so tempted to cast on a sweater project, but I am trying to sneak in a few knitted gifts before I am back to work on my next project with a deadline.  I'll snap some pics of those to slip into a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment