About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What TO Wear Review of Vogue Knitting Fall 2010

Clearly, blogging is not as addictive as some claim. Or else I have a highly non-addictive personality. But, in either case, after a great communication gap, is my next blog. The magazine arrived on my doorstep the day after my last post. Anyhow, these are my favorite flattering designs from the current issue:


Pyramid Jacket, Knit One Crochet Too ad, page 32

This design breaks several of the What Not to Wear Rules, but I am going to give it a pass, because it looks like a fun knit. The body is worked in bias stripes, which, combined with the v-neck and button placket, make a garment which not only makes you look slimmer, but enhances curves. The design features which don’t tickle my feather are the apparent lack of waist shaping, and the drop shoulder which is resulting in a lot of excess fabric in the upper arm.



White lace shawl cardigan, Patons ad, page 46

Yes, this is a crochet garment. I know that expressing admiration for such may cause some to think I have gone over to the dark side. But, can I admire without intent to emulate? This sweater plays on the trend of circular garments, but in an interesting take with lace panels. The great amount of excess fabric at the neck creates a super-full shawl collar, and the garment is styled with a pin to hold it together at the waist. Very, very pretty and feminine.




Design #13 by Brooke Nico, page 84 & 85

My friends are now wondering why I am now singing the praises of another circular lace design. They know I am not the girly type. But, in the interest of objectivity, as well as the knowledge that just as we all have different body shapes, we all have different tastes. This design benefits from shaping which defines a waist and creates a huge portrait collar. And, it appears weightless. The deep blue color is unusual for a lace garment, but I think it adds to its unique charm.



Design #20 by Mari Tobita, page 93

This is a nice design for the more pear shaped. The upper body has deeply textured cable panels which end at the waist and release their fullness creating extra fabric to flow over the bottom and upper thighs. The button band and single cable down the center of the arm both help create the illusion of height.









Design #21 by Norah Gaughan, p. 94

True Confessions: I worship at the temple of Knitting Goddess Norah Gaughan. As I was getting serious about knitting and staring to look at designers, I consistently found myself drawn to hers. I love her unique geometric construction. I love her so much I can even admire a sweater knit in a gauge of 3 sts per inch. Normally I would never wear (or knit) a garment this bulky. The one exception would be a vest. Since the arms are not covered, they bring the sweater back into scale – and even look thin by comparison. This design is especially nice since the tie at high waist pulls the garment in close to the body. And, the ribbing also helps accentuate curves.






Design #28 by Heidi Kozar, page 101

This is a colorful choice for an inverted triangle shape. All the pattern emphasis is at the waist and hip, and this is the figure type that can use the visual weight to balance broad shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment