About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Greetings From Wisconsin: Downton Abbey Knits 2014

It's been a while . . .

I moved to Wisconsin the last week of August, spent a week getting the kids registered and ready for school and unpacking the minimum, and then have spent the past three weeks working loooong days on a hush hush project.  My deadline was generous, but I was so anxious before the move that I did could not knit for three weeks prior.  So much for Elizabeth Zimmerman's invoking us to knit on with confidence through all crises . . .

But I do have something fun to share - my contribution to the 2014 edition of The Unofficial Downton Abbey Knits.  Now that the show is into the flapper era, I could not resist.  My design is a modular lace blouse worked in Artyarn's Empress.  There are three different patterns at play, and one has variations for flat and in-the-round knitting.  I also threw in a little crochet - single and reverse single - to trim the edges. 

One of the great joys in designing for publications is the time lag.  (And, I must say, one of the drawbacks.  Who wants to have to keep mum for that long?)  It's always a surprise to see your almost-forgotten project again, and beautifully photographed on a lovely model.  I have to remind myself that I made it! 

The fun in this design is that it is worked in panels, with the center front and back worked bottom-up, then the front and back side/strap pieces worked sideways off them.  The panels under the arms are continuations of the front sideways lace pieces which are joined with a 3-needle bind off to the back lace panels.  Then the bottom band is picked up and worked top-down.  The only sewing is to attach the decorative buttons.  Modular lace is not for the beginner, but this would be an adventure for a knitter with a little lace experience.

There are many gorgeous designs in this issue from great designers - Annie Modesitt, Martin Storey, Vicki Square - and some lesser known designers who have hit it out of the park, like Gini Woodward.  Grab a copy when you see it - the 2013 issue sold out the day it arrived at my LYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment