About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Crafty Projects in Process

The best thing about taking a little break from blogging (I was off costuming a show) is that your next post back can be filled with follow up from the last post.  So, we have . . .


Remember that J Crew sweater I bought for less than a buck at an estate sale?  It had a large hole in the back, so from the start I planned to rip it and salvage the yarn. 

Here's the yarn after unravelling.  It turned out to be much thinner than I imagined.  While I realized that the fabric was a reverse side, it wasn't reverse stockinette stitch, but the reverse of a brioche-type pattern.  It wasn't the thickness of the yarn making the denseness of the fabric, but the stitch work. 


And here it is in (part of) its new life - my Farwen hat.  I used the merino yarn doubled and it came out perfect, thanks to the loftiness of the yarn.  The beads were also a bargain purchase when the bead store down the street form my LYS went out-of-business. 

The fate of the remainder of the yardage is yet to be determined, but I do love this dusty blue-green color.








The other work-in-progress is a second altered cashmere sweater.  This one began life as a man's sweater that gathered at the bottom, so that had to go.  Once again the stash yielded a matching sock yarn for the new crochet hem and bands. 

I think I may only be mid-way through this project.  This sweater is telling me that it wants to have elbow length sleeves.  And, if I have the fabric from the lower arms to play, I think they just might become pockets. 

My plan is to wear this when I teach at YarnCon Chicago on April 5th & 6th, so I better get out the SCISSORS!

No comments:

Post a Comment