About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Alliteration


All of my mitten knitting (72 pairs and counting) has left me with lots of bits and bobs of fingering weight yarn.  Having already crocheted a scrappy granny afghan this year, I cast about for other projects.  Hipknitizer's Fiddly Bits cowl caught my eye.  I loved the fabric, but could not stomach the thought of 90 stitches of Kitchener.  So, I created my own variation - a scarf.  It is still a hollow tube, the better to hide all those yarn ends, my dear.  I worked the two ends in a semi-solid yarn to tie it together, but, again, left them open with the idea that if one were mittenless, one could use the scarf like a muff to keep them warm.  



The other trick I used was to start with a provisional cast on.  As I worked, I drifted from wider stripes to narrower.  By working 2/3 and then working a ribbed band to finish, and them going back and working the other end in the opposite direction, I could make sure the two ends matched.  This is nice since the two ends are usually side-by-side when worn.

And the name?  What else would you call a simple, sock scrap, stockinette stitch scarf?

No comments:

Post a Comment