About Woolly Wits

I am a hand-knitting designer and teacher. See and purchase my published designs on Ravelry.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Noro Magazine Spring/Summer 2013,
photo by Rose Callahan
This is one of my favorite design pieces - the Hourglass Top from the Spring/Summer issue of Noro Magazine.  Simple, but clever.  I love playing with Noro self-striping yarns to create flattering lines. Typically I do this by creating diagonals, such as my design on the cover of Knit Noro.  But here I played with horizontals.  The contrast of the hourglass design line and the wider/narrower stripes as the pieces get narrower/wider draws focus to the waist and literally does create the hourglass body shape.  And all by moving the side seams!  The top is still only two pieces.

The one struggle I did have with this design was choosing a neckline.  Originally I wanted a v-shape, since I thought it would nicely echo the diagonals of the waist shaping.  But, when sketched, I thought it really did not work.  So, I sketched out a few other options, and the second I tried the funnel neck it was a clear winner.

I've got another design coming up in the Fall/Winter issue of Noro Magazine, so keep an eye out for that issue to hit newsstands.

No comments:

Post a Comment